Sunday, November 17, 2013

Taking a Lesson from Freud - Lucien, that is

As much as I enjoy organizing life drawing, it isn't always without some frustration. The one that vexes me the most has to be the artist who only wants to draw [their idea of] the perfect body. I have to admit that I have a hard time understanding that. I guess it's because I don't expect to come away with a great work of art, or, more to the point, that I'll create a more perfect drawing with a more perfect model. I just want an improvement over the last drawing or to push myself. I'll take an interesting model over "perfect" any day, if "perfect" indeed even exists. Lucien Freud, whose models were many times less than ideal characters, were almost all chosen to paint to tell a story about himself and his values.

The drawings posted were from the Nov 11th session. It was a big group and my thanks to Sarah for staying calm through it all. Janet is feeling better and will be posing for us on the 18th.

Matt Austin
Anita Holle
Ed King 
Katya Kirsten
Sally Rhone-Kubarek
Susan Ishii

No comments:

Post a Comment